Allergy To Poison Ivy And Poison Oak-What Should I Do?

Do you still confuse “why do I have skin rashes and itching, repeatedly?” If so, you should read this article because it may be possible that you have allergy to poison ivy and poison oak. This will prove that max health care for you is struggling for your optimum health care.

Allergy to poison ivy and poison oak is found in majority of people. Poison ivy and poison oak contain an irritating sap called urushiol. Urushiol is highly irritating to the skin and triggers an allergic reaction at the time of contact with skin. Allergy to poison ivy or poison oak causes an itchy rash after exposure to urushiol. You can be exposed to urushiol either directly or indirectly by touching objects like gardening tools, camping equipment, or even a pet’s fur. Urushiol can absorb quickly into the skin or can be inhaled by the burning of poisoning plant. The allergic reaction which is provoked by inhalation will be highly severe.

The rash which is resulted from allergy to poison ivy and poison oak is a form of contact dermatitis. Our skin is involuntarily sensitive to the urushiol, after first exposure to this poison. Allergy to poison ivy and poison oak is common in America. Some experts’ estimation shows that three out of four Americans are sensitive to them, but the degree of sensitivity varies from individual to individual.

Symptoms of a Poison Plant Reaction:

If you have allergy to poison ivy and poison oak, you will have the following symptoms at exposure.
1.    Redness and itching of the part of skin which is exposed.
2.    Eruption of a rash on skin; it is often appeared in the same pattern as the plant come in contact to you.
3.    Swelling of the area.
4.    The rash becomes warm due to increased blood supply.
5.    In severe cases, the rash develops into red bump which is called papule, or oozing blister.

How can be an Allergic Reaction Treated?

People with allergy to poison ivy and poison oak should take cool showers and apply an over the counter lotion on rash such as calamine lotion, it helps to relieve the itch. If the reaction becomes severe or in case of involvement of mucus membranes, you need a prescription medication to control the reaction.

What should you do to prevent from poison plant reaction?

In fact, allergic reaction to the poison ivy can not be cured but it can be prevented by following tips:
•    Learn to identify Urushiol, if you have allergy to poison ivy and poison oak avoid contact with them.
•    Remove these plants from your home, especially in those areas where you work or play.
•    When working in areas where the possibility of the plants growth, cover your skin completely to avoid exposure.
•    To avoid their contact in your mucus membrane, use masks at nostrils and mouth.

Site Footer