Avoidant personality disorder is also known as anxious personality disorder. It is also considered as one among the personality disorders which attack on people over the age of eighteen years. The main distinguishing feature of this avoidant personality disorder is that these people have extraordinary pervasive pattern of social inhibition, extreme sensitivity, negative evaluation, and extra avoidance of social interaction.
These people need our attention because of their inability to perceive the events correctly. They are socially inept, fear of being humiliated, ridiculed, rejected, or disliked. If you people also want to know causes and symptoms of avoidant personality disorder. You should also know these symptoms and causes if you wish maximum health care for you.
Symptoms of avoidant personality disorder
These symptoms of avoidant personality disorder include,
- Hypersensitivity to rejection
- Self-imposed social isolation
- Extreme shyness in social situations
- Avoids interpersonal relationship
- Severe low self-esteem
- Mistrust of others
- Highly self-conscious
- Problems in occupational functioning
- Lonely self-perception
Causes of Avoidant personality disorder
After discussion of symptoms of avoidant personality disorder, move towards causes of avoidant personality disorder, which includes
- Various anxiety disorders during childhood and adolescence.
- Inherited characteristics may also take an individual to genetic predisposition towards
- Avoidant personality disorder can also be caused by some family problems like painful childhood experiences of chronic parental criticism.
Diagnosis of avoidant personality disorder
World Health Organizations that a person will be suffering from avoidant personality disorder, if he has any four among major symptoms.
- Persistent feelings of tension and apprehension
- Belief that he is socially inept or inferior to others
- Excessive anxiety due to extreme criticism in social situations
- Restrictions in lifestyle to feel physically secure Extreme avoidance of social activities
Hopefully this article about avoidant personality disorder will be helpful for you.