Ritalin side effects in children are not hidden from any one. Ritalin is among the most useful drugs in children with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD). It is the trade name of the highly prescribed drug methylphenidate. It is basically a central nervous system stimulant; its effects are more effective than caffeine and less effective than amphetamine. Ritalin is often prescribed to individuals with ADHD especially children. It is used world wide to alleviate the condition in children but as all pharmaceutical products, Ritalin side effects are also evident in children. People who are using this drug should be checked for any side effects are recommended.
Common Ritalin side effects in children
The most common Ritalin side effects in children are nervousness and insomnia. More Ritalin side effects include;
- Abdominal pain
- Hair loss
- Loss of appetite
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Stunted growth
Long term Ritalin side effects in children
Long term Ritalin side effects in children are also lamentable. These long-term side effects on the developing brains of children are a subject of debate. These include;
- Long term use of Ritalin may increase the incidence of psychosis in children.
- Ritalin stimulant therapy can also increase mental disorder in later life.
- More over, Ritalin side effects in childrenmight cause drug dependence, schizophrenia paranoia, and behavioral sensitization in the children and are similar to other stimulants.
- Others Ritalin side effects in children may include; hearing voices, urges to harm oneself, visual hallucinations, delusions, increased aggression, confusion, and irritability.
- High rates of childhood CNS stimulant are also found in people with bipolar disorder.
Additional to Ritalin side effects in children, its addiction is also evident in people. It is an illegal street drugs Methamphetamine, with street name “crystal meth.” Ritalin abuse and addiction need more time and research to discuss. Here, we have only concerned with the Ritalin side effects in children.
This article will be helpful because it takes part to give maximum health care for you and your child with ADHD.