Normochromic normocytic anemia looks like a very complicated medical term for those who are unaware of medical terminology, but in actual it is a very common health condition that is prevalent globally, especially in female.
Before the discussion of normochromic normocytic anemia, I want to discus anemia to which you are familiar with. Anemia is nothing except a decrease in number or volume of red blood cells than normal. Technically, anemia is not considered as a disease but only a symptom of other disorders. It is the most common disorder of blood which has almost 400 types, among them we are discussing only normochromic normocytic anemia.
Normochromic normocytic anemia is a condition of decrease number of red blood cells in which RBCs have normal size with normal amounts of hemoglobin.
Symptoms of Normochromic normocytic anemia
Symptoms of normochromic normocytic anemia are developing slowly and often go undetected. These may include constipation, loss of appetite, headaches, irritability, noises in the ears, difficulty in concentration and memory. Moreover, people feel fatigue, weakness, depression, dizziness, paleness, brittle nails, pale lips soreness of the mouth, and a cessation in menstruation.
Causes of normochromic normocytic anemia:
There are countless causes of normochromic normocytic anemia, some important among them include;
- Excessive blood loss as it occurs in accidents and hemorrhage etc.
- Excessive blood cell destruction as it occurs on hemolysis
- Insufficient red blood cell production
- It may be caused by unbalanced diet.
Treatment of normochromic normocytic anemia:
Treatment of normochromic normocytic anemia varies and depends on the cause of anemia. The most important is to eradicate the cause, anemia will eradicate automatically.
- Nutritional anemia is much easier than any other type to treat. For an iron deficiency one can take iron rich food and supplemental iron too.
- In case of hemorrhagic anemia one should have bloods transfusion.
- Folate is also helpful in this regard.